Action in memory of Stanislav Markelov and Anastasya Baburova

On 19 January 2010 an action in memory of Stanislav Markelov and Anastasya Baburova took place in Moscow. Two pickets on Petrov bulvar and Chistye Prudy were planned as well as an organized movement of the participants from one picket to the other.

The objective of the action was to commemorate Stanislav Markelov and Anastasya Baburova and other victims of ideological and political terror, to act against politically- and ideologically-motivated murders, against racism, ethnically- and religiously-driven hate, against using chauvinism and xenophobia in political and public rhetoric.

The initiators of the action - “Committee 19 January” - stated that the primary goal of nowadays is to strip the Nazis and racists of an outwards or hidden support on behalf of the authorities, to remove the right-wing representatives from official politics, to foil the employment of right-wing groups in actions against public and political activists.

The approved slogans were: “To remember means to struggle”, “Fascists kill - officials shield”. A moratorium on any symbolic was declared in the process of the action. All participants were supposed to have candles and portraits of the victims of the modern terror in Russia.

When people started to gather the police demanded that portraits of Markelov and Baburova were taken away, but nobody followed their demands. During the peaceful action, as had been planned, more than 1500 participants from Chistye Prudy started moving in the direction of Pertrov bulvar, but the group was broken in two by the police. That is why only about 500 people reached the destination and the majority of participants were dispersed.

Despite the fact that Ombudsman of the Russian Federation Vladimir Lukin himself was present at the action, the police started to act aggressively against peaceful people. The eye-witnesses claim that participants were grabbed harshly, put down their faces in the snow, and taken to police tracks. Some people say that truncheons, tear gas were used by the police as well as shots into air.

More than 25 people were detained including Sergey Krivenko – the member of the Presidential Council of the development of civil society institutions and human rights.

Only after midnight the detainees were set free, but the court hearings are still in store for them.

Designed by WS-teamm